Lesser Know Facts About Sanjay Dutt (Trivia)
Sanjay Dutt’s life has been nothing less than a thriller and high suspense Bollywood movie with Action, Love, Crime and a lot of emotions. This man has seen everything in life. The lifestyle he has lead has been very different than other celebrities. There is so much that you don’t know about Sanjay’s life.
Mini Biography (Sanjay Dutt Age, DOB, Family)
Full Name- Sanjay Balraj Dutt
Nick Name- Sanju Baba
Date of Birth- 29th July 1959
Age- 59 Years (as in 2018)
Height- 6 Feet (183 cm)
Father- Sunil Dutt
Mother- Nargis Dutt
So, today we are going to share with you 50 lesser known facts about Sanjay Dutt. Grab a cup of coffee and read about the extravagant lifestyle of Sanju Baba–
Sanjay Dutt Jail Time (Arm’s Act Case)
1. In 2013, when Sanjay Dutt surrendered regarding the Arm’s Act case, he was also alloted work like any other prisoner. His work was to make paper bags for daily wages of Rs 50 (US $.74). Since he was not allowed to interact with everyone in the jail because of security reasons, he started interacting with other prisoners through jail’s radio. He used to tell them his life stories and the lessons he learned from his mistakes.
2. In 2016, when he was released from jail, he had earned approximately Rs 30,000 (US $ 442) from the work he did while he was in Jail. Out of this money he had spent Rs 29,500 (US $ 434) in the jail canteen over the period of time. He gave the rest of the money to his wife, Manyata when he was released. He regards Manyata as the pillar of his life and said that he couldn’t have survived the jail term without the support of his wife.
3. Sanjay Dutt’s association with the underworld started in the year 1999. When he was shooting for the movie “Yalgaar”, Feroz Khan, who was the director, producer, and actor of this film introduced Sanjay to Dawood Ibrahim in a hotel in Dubai. This was the beginning of some serious trouble for Sanju.
4. Sameer Hingora and Hanif Kadwala who were the producer of the movie “Sanam” gave Sanjay 3 guns and a few hand grenades on Sanjay’s request. He returned everything but kept 1 gun with himself, stating that he needed it for his own safety.
5. After the attack on Mumbai in 1993, Sameer Hingora and Hanif Kadwala were arrested by Mumbai Police in connection with the attack and it was revealed that both of them were working for Abu Salem and supplied arms and ammunition which were used in the attack. That 1 gun which Sanjay had kept with himself was also recovered and he was arrested for further investigation.
6. During the trial, Sanjay Dutt said that he needed the gun only for his and his father’s safety. He said that he had no connection with the 1993 blast case and asked for the arms because Sunil Dutt was receiving death threats after the demolition of Babri Masjid and he was scared. However, the judge refused to accept Sanjay’s views and stated that there was no need of getting a gun in an illegal way when he already had 3 licensed guns.
Read More ➡ 50 Most Beautiful Pakistani Actress
7. In the year 2000, Sanjay’s voice recording of his telephonic conversation with underworld don Chota Shakeel was leaked. This conversation made it very clear that he was still in touch with those people. Later, he defended himself by saying that it was a necessity to talk to those people because In 1990’s Bollywood was dominated by the underworld. Here is the voice recording of his conversation with Chota Shakeel-
8. In 2013. the Supreme Court of India announced it’s final verdict and he was imprisoned for a period of 5 years. During the court proceeding spanning over 20 years, he had already spent 1.5 years in Jail and now had to complete the remaining 3.5 years of his jail term. There was a lot of controversy regarding his sentencing and he was accused of receiving VIP treatment because of his status. In the remaining 3.5 years of his jail term, Sanjay Dutt was out on bail for a total period of 6 months.
9. On 26th February 2016, Sanjay was released from jail. He was released 60 days before the completion of his sentence on the grounds of good behavior. When he was released from the jail, he saluted the national flag of India which was outside the jail and said in his public statement that those 3.5 years in jail have changed his outlook towards life.
Sanjay Dutt’s Drug Addiction Battle
10. Sanjay Dutt’s Drug Addiction affected his personal and professional life equally. He missed movies like Yash Chopra’s “Lamhe” and Subhash Ghai’s “Hero” where he was the 1st choice for playing the lead role.
11. While shooting for the movie “Rocky” his drug addiction was at its peak. He was high all the time and while traveling to Kashmir for shooting a segment of the film, he hid drugs in his socks as he was traveling by flight. He has himself confessed in many interviews that at the beginning of his career, he used to consume drugs even when he was on the sets.
12. His 1st cigarette was at the age of 9. Yes, you read that right. He was influenced by the lifestyle of his father’s friends. When no one was around, he used to try the used cigarettes from the ashtrays. When Sunil Dutt found out about this, he was very upset and blamed himself and Nargis for pampering him all the time.
13. After the smoking incident at such a young age, Sunil wanted to take a strict action as he was worried about Sanjay. So, he decided to put Sanju Baba in a boarding school. This advice was given to Sunil Dutt by none other than the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandi. In those days, Sunil was an active member of Congress party and had a lot of influential connections. Taking her advice, Sanjay was admitted into a boarding school where he spent the next 9 years of his life.
14. There was a time when his addiction became a serious issue. One morning, when Sanju woke up, all his servants started crying in front of him. He was very attached to all of them and asked what was the matter. To which they replied that he had been unconscious for the past 2 days. This was the time when Sanjay realized that the matter had gone out of his hands.
15. After this incident, Sanjay decided to open up about his problem and went to his father and started crying inconsolably. He told Sunil Dutt that he is fed up with his lifestyle and wants to get back to normal. He had realized that if he continued any longer, he will soon be dead. Sanjay himself requested his father to admit him into a rehabilitation center. So he went to the United States and stayed there for 1 year under expert care.
16. While Sanju was in rehabilitation, he had made up his mind that he will never return to India and will settle there only and will run a business with his new friends. He was also offered a partnership by his friend in the US in a farming business. But, his father requested him to not give up on acting as it was his dream. He was not willing to come back to India but, he respected his father a lot and decided to come back to India.
Facts from Personal Life of Sanjay Dutt
17. When Nargis and Sunil Dutt were expecting a baby, they were confused about the baby name. So, they gave an ad in a magazine asking people to suggest a name for their baby. One such suggestion was Sanju and both Nargis and Sunil Dutt loved that name and made up their mind to name their kid Sanju if it was a boy.
18. Sanjay Dutt has a lot of tattoos on his body and each of them have an important significance in his life. Here is a list of his Tattoos-
- The name of his mother on his chest in Urdu.
- His father, Sunil Dutt’s name is written in Devanagari.
- A tattoo of Lord Shiva and a fire-breathing dragon on his shoulder.
- A magnificent lion, samurai soldiers, and a Tibetan Shloka.
19. After High School, Sanjay Dutt was in no mood to do his higher studies. But, his father was adamant that he must at least be a graduate. So he was enrolled in Elphinstone college of Mumbai against his wish. However, he never went to college. He attended the college only 4 times in the 1st year. This was the time when he got into the habit of taking drugs.
20. During the shooting of Sanju’s 1st movie “Rocky“, his mother was on the last stage of cancer. Her dream was to live until she could see her son on the big screen at least once. Sadly, Nargis passed away just 5 days before the debut of Sanjay Dutt’s 1st movie. So, during the premiere of his movie on 8th may 1981, Sanjay left one seat vacant in the memory of his mother.
21. When he was back in India after rehabilitation, he wanted to live a very disciplined life and decided to get into body-building. He started working out a lot. This also helped him get rid of his addiction. He was highly inspired by Arnold Schwarzenegger and watched all his movies while he was recovering in the US.
22. Sanjay was an atheist before he was convicted. But, his stay in jail made his spiritual. He introspected his life and say that he realized the importance of life when he was in jail. He regularly used to read Ramayan, Gita and Hanuman Chalisa while he was serving his sentence.
23. At the time of Raksha Bandhan also, he was in Jail. This was the 1st time when he was not with his sisters during this festival. In an interview, Priya Dutt while remembering those days said that when she went to tie Rakhi to his brother in jail, Sanjay gifted her 2 jail coupons as a gift. By giving those coupons to Priya, he missed his next 2 meals. Priya Dutt has still kept those coupons with her.
24. Sanjay has won 2 Filmfare awards in his career. The 1st one was as the “best actor” for the movie “Vaastav” in 1996 and the second one as “The Best Comedian” for the movie “Munna Bhai MBBS”
25. Sanjay made his debut in the film industry as a child artist with the movie “Reshma aur Shera” directed by his father Sunil Dutt in the year 1972. He was seen in the Quwaali sequence of the movie.
26. Since he was never interested in studies, he decided to become an actor because he thought that it was the easiest career for him and it required no hard work. When he told this to his father, Sunil Dutt was furious and told him that nothing is as easy as it seems and not everyone can become an actor as it is a pure art. He told Sanjay that if he is really passionate about becoming an actor then he will have to undergo rigorous training for at least 2 years. Since Sanjay was least interested in going to college, he agreed.
27. After coming back to India after his treatment, his initial 2 movies were a box-office disaster. He was under a lot of stress and desperately needed one good film to get back on his feet. Then he signed a movie “Naam” which got good reviews and did good business. Even the critics were praising his acting skills at this time. After “Naam”, he got a lot of work and he thanks Mahesh Bhatt as he believes that he was the one to re-launch him in Bollywood.
28. Aamir Khan was 1st approached for the movie “Saajan”. However, Aamir was not willing to work with a new director at that time. Then, Sanjay Dutt bagged that role and this movie turned out to be very lucky for him as it was very well received.
29. When the movie Khalnayak was released in 1993, Sanjay Dutt was in jail. Director Subhash Ghai banked on the opportunity and presented the movie posters in such a way, that Sanjay looked like a Villain. The tagline of the movie was- “YES, I am the Villain”. His marketing strategy worked and the movie was a blockbuster hit. “Khalnayak” was the 2nd highest grossing movie in the year 1993.
30. The climax of award-winning film Vaastav’s was completed by Sanju in 1st take. This is the scene between Sanjay Dutt and Reema Lagoo who is playing the role of his mother and he asks her to shoot him. In an interview, Sanjay said that he wanted to complete the scene in 1st take because it was a very serious scene and retake would have reduced the intensity. His acting in the movie was inspired by American Actor Al Pacino’s hit movie – Scarface.
31. He was offered the role of Jimmy Shergill in Munna Bhai MBBS and Shahrukh Khan was the 1st choice of Raju Hirani. But, Shahrukh rejected the offer stating that he was not sure whether he would be able to do justice to the role. Then, Sanju got the role which is by far his most successful movie. Interestingly, this was the 1st movie in which Sanjay and Sunil worked together on-screen.
32. After completing his jail term, the movie “Bhoomi” released in 2017 starring him and Aditi Rao Hydari was his comeback film. This movie was dedicated by him to his daughter Trishal Dutt and was released on her birthday – 12th August 2017.
Love Life of Sanju Baba
Sanjay Dutt’s love life has been full of twists and turns. He had 2 failed marriages and a lot of affairs. In the trailer of his own biopic, it was shown that he had affairs with approximately 308 women.
Sanjay Dutt and Tina Munim
33. Tina Munim and Sanjay met at the sets of “Rocky” for the 1st time. They fell in love and the affair went on for another 2 years. Tina then broke up with Sanjay Dutt because of his drug addiction and possessiveness. It is said that Sanjay never told her about his drug problem which caused a lot of misunderstanding between them.
34. He was very protective and possessive about Tina Munim. Once, during the shooting of “Rocky” a man was passing lewd comments on her. Sanju was outrageous and started beating up the man in front of everyone. Regarding this incident, Sanjay says that he was very young at that time and couldn’t tolerate anyone misbehaving with the love of his life.
35. Even after their break-up, Sanjay was very possessive about Tina. When she was shooting with Rishi Kapoor, there were rumors about their affairs. When Sanjay heard this, he was very angry and went to fight with Rishi Kapoor with his best friend, Gulshan Grover. However, Neetu Kapoor handled the situation by making Sanju understand that all these are just rumors and nothing is going on between Rishi Kapoor and Tina Munim.
Sanjay Dutt and Kimi Katkar
36. Their relationship started after Sanjay and Tina Munim had parted ways. Kimi was known for her bold avatar at that time. But, this relationship was not very serious and it didn’t last long. Nevertheless, this affair was also affected by his drug addiction.
Sanjay Dutt and Richa Sharma
37. The year 1986 was one of the best years for Sanjay both professionally and personally. He was back on his feet, his movies were doing well and he had finally gotten rid of his drug addiction completely. This was the time when he met Richa Sharma, who was a new actress at that time. Both of them were instantly drawn towards each other. They dated for a few months and then got married in 1987 in New York.
38. In 1988, they were blessed with a daughter, Trishala. A few months after Trishala was born, Richa started having severe headaches and was not keeping well. Then, she was diagnosed with Brain Tumor which was at a very advanced stage. She was admitted to the same hospital in New York, where Nargis Dutt underwent treatment for her cancer.
39. When they both decided to get a divorce, there were arguments regarding the custody of their daughter. Sanjay wanted the custody of Trishala. But, Richa and her family were against this idea because of the court cases that were surrounding Sanjay Dutt. Richa felt that Trishala deserves a stable upbringing and it would be difficult for her to manage with Sanju. So Trishala stayed with Richa after their divorce.
40. In 1996, Richa’s medical condition got worse and she died the same year due to her brain tumor. When Trishala was 10 years old, Sanjay got back the custody of his daughter. However, now Sanjay and his family felt that since Trishala has spent all her childhood in US and has a life there, it would not be right to bring her back to India. So, she stayed in the United States and settled there itself. Sanjay and Trishala have always been in touch and visit each other whenever time permits.
Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit
41. This was one of the most talked about affairs of Bollywood. Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit gave many hit films together. They got close when Sanjay Dutt’s wife Richa was battling from the brain tumor in New York. In many interviews, Richa openly blamed Sanjay’s extramarital affairs with “a famous Bollywood actress” for problems in her happily married life. When Sanju was arrested, Madhuri broke up with him.
Sanjay Dutt and Rhea Pillai
42. Rhea Pillai came into Sanju’s life after Madhuri. Rhea used to be a model at that time and when Sanjay was in jail, she used to visit him very frequently. They became very close friends as Rhea was there for him when he needed her the most. In 1998, Sanjay Dutt and Rhea Pillai got married. He asked her out on Valentine’s day and went to a temple with her and got married without informing anyone. Even Sunil Dutt got this news from the media.
43. After a few years, both of them started having extramarital affairs. Rhea Pillai started dating the well know Tennis player, Leander Paes and Sanjay started seeing Manyata. By this time, Sanjay had given up on this marriage and they started living separately without getting a divorce. Then in 2005 they decided to part ways permanently and officially got a divorce.
Sanjay Dutt and Manyata
44. When Sanjay and Rhea separated, he got close to Manyata who was a struggling actress at that time. He even recommended her for an item song in the movie Gangajal. They were in a live-in relationship for 3 years and then got married in 2008 in Goa. Sanjay Dutt and Manyata age gap is 20 years. Manyata was born on 22nd July 1979. The couple is blessed with 2 twins.
45. In her struggling days, Manyata did a C-Grade film named “Lovers Like Us”. That movie had a lot of bold scenes and the filmography was also very below average. Sanjay Dutt was worried about his and Manyata’s reputation. So, he bought all the rights of that movie and removed all it’s copies from the market to stop its circulation. He never wanted anyone to watch that movie. A few scenes from the movie are still available on Youtube. Have a look-
A few more Sanju Facts
46. In 2009, Sanjay Dutt started his political career by joining the Samajwadi Party. However, he was disqualified by the supreme court as a candidate because of his existing arms act case. He is still very closely related to Akhilesh Yadav.
47. This multi-talented personality has also been a guitarist and a tabla player. In fact, he was felicitated and awarded a gold medal for his outstanding performance during a concert in the United States. He loves Rock Music and his favorite bands are – Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and, Guns N Roses.
48. Former US president Barack Obama knows Sanjay Dutt by the name of Munna Bhai. Once in 2004 Dutt and Obama were attending a program in Chicago together and on seeing Sanju the crowd rushed towards him and chanted “Munna Bhai”
49. For his own Biopic named “Sanju”, he wanted to play the role of his father himself. But, Rajkumar Hirani didn’t agree to this and offered the role to Aamir Khan. Aamir was excited about this role but refused because he didn’t want to play the role of aged man again just after “Dangal”. Then finally Paresh Rawal was finalized for the role. Here is the teaser of Sanjay Dutt’s Biopic–
50. In jail, Sanjay used to work-out rigorously and found out innovative ways of exercising and keeping himself fit. Since gym equipments were not available in jail, he used mud pots and trash cans as weights for his workout. He even managed to get abs during that time. Devoting time in fitness training helped him a lot during his jail term.
So, these were some of the rare and unknown facts about Sanjay Dutt and his extravagant life. Sanju will be next seen in the movie “Torbaaz” where he is playing the role of an army officer, directed by Girish Malik. The movie will also have Nargis Fakhri in lead role as an NGO activist.